Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mommies-at-Heart

For all the moms-at-heart, smiling through the tears today, with so much love in their hearts for children they’ve never held: children in lands far away, children who are dreams in the form of piles of paperwork, children who *just might* come from your tummy someday if the doctors could ever figure out what the heck is going on.  For the moms who HAVE held their babies, in their arms or in their tummies, for far too short a time. For moms who give up their homes for a short while, and their hearts for a lifetime, to foster children.  For moms of one or two, five or six, and God has placed another on your heart, but not in your tummy… and the world keeps whispering to just be happy with the ones you have.  For moms ready to go, with so much love to give, but are still searching the world for Daddy.  For moms who struggle between love and loss, wondering about the babies that they gave up their bodies and hearts to bring into this world, the babies who now call somebody else “mother.”  For all the moms like me, who have stepped through to the other side, and wonder why they still feel a little pinch of hurt on this perfect, happy day.  For moms of questions and prayers, who won’t get flowers and cards and sticky kisses today:

You are loved.  You are remembered.  You rock.  You are MOMS.

 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have wondered for a very long time what Mother’s Day feels like from this side of the fence.  About five years ago, I began to allow the once-happy celebration of my own mother to become all about me, an annual bummer-fest.  No matter how nice the weather, I’d rent movies and stay inside so I wouldn’t have to see the perfect, happy moms wearing corsages and pushing their mini-me in a stroller or on a swing.  I’d steer clear of Facebook for the weekend, the endless stream of pictures and quotes and Scripture and constant reminders that Motherhood Is The Best.  I’d quick call my mom and make sure she knew I still loved her, and then recede into my safe, happy bubble where this day does not exist.  Just another sunny Sunday in May.

Obviously I didn’t hate Mother’s Day.  It was just like anything else in life that you so desperately want to be a part of, but can’t.  Eventually you lash out against it, try to convince yourself that you’re better off without it.  When it was time for bed, I would hope and pray for a quick sleep, to close my eyes and hide from the last few hours of this pointless day.  Tim would fall asleep quickly, but of course I never could.  Once the lights went out, once the house was quiet, once the distractions fell away - then all the thoughts I’d successfully blocked out in the daylight would swarm my defenseless, vulnerable mind.  Wide awake, and forced to feel what I had hidden from all day, I would toss and turn, cry and question, and finally pray… “Lord, PLEASE let this be the last one.  Please answer my prayer by next Mother’s Day. I can’t do this again.”

And here we are.  The Mother’s Day I have prayed about for so many years.  It should be so easy to write out what it feels like, right? Perfect.  So happy. Everything I ever dreamed it would be.  And we all lived happily ever after.

Exceeeeeeeeept…. that’s not the whole truth.  Imagine my surprise when I woke up and something still felt “off.”  I can’t quite describe it.  Anxiety? Restlessness? Maybe even a bit of a sting, like stepping out the door into a cool, drizzly gust of wind.  Well, I told myself, surely it’s just my old instincts kicking in.  My body knows that Mother’s Day is here again, and my mind is still too groggy to remind it, “Newsflash! We’re a mother now! Get over yourself!”  But when a cup of coffee and a nice cuddle with the very real, very giggly, and very beautiful Libby Joy didn’t completely drive the feeling away, it became time to think it out.  Blog it out.  Second-cup-of-coffee it out.  And here’s what I came up with.

Today I am very, very happy.  Deliriously so.  I WILL check Facebook, constantly, to soak up every single beautiful Mommy post and picture, to make up for all the years that I haven’t.  BUT… that little piece of me that still feels a tiny bit like I used to on Mother’s Day… that’s because that girl is still very much a part of me.  She always will be.  So this Mother’s Day, I will not hide from her.  I will finally give her a voice, in the hopes that she can brighten up Mother’s Day for other hurting Mommies-at-heart .

Once in a while, people would pull me aside on Mother’s Day and give me a hug and look deep in my teary eyes, and tell me, “You ARE a mother.”  I would smile and nod, and truly appreciate the gesture, but I didn’t believe it.  Past Me didn’t feel worthy.  She hadn’t changed the diapers, cleaned the puke, dried the tears.  She’d been through pain and she loved her future babies with all her heart, but she didn’t feel that made her a mother.  She needs to know, though, that I’m the mommy I am today BECAUSE of her.  I learned things from her that I treasure and that make me love my daughter more fiercely than I ever could have imagined.

1.  Mommies need patience to no end, and grace under fire, for all those moments when your child is screaming bloody murder just because you’re trying to do something nice for them, like put food in their belly or exchange a dripping diaper for a dry one.  Well, past Megan, I got a little “jump start” in the patience department from you, and definitely the grace under fire as well.  Three million variations of “sooooo… when are YOU having kids?”  Grrrrrrrr on the inside.  Smile and nod on the outside.  Be thankful for those moments.  They were tough but they were worth it.

2.  Sometimes mommies require tunnel vision, when all they can do is live for memories of smiles and sloppy kisses, and pray without ceasing for the return of those happy days.  Sometimes when babies are sick or teething, they scream through an entire sermon or for days on end, and it takes every ounce of hope and confidence in God’s goodness to continue to soothe their tears.  I remember days when I was the one feeling that way, not my teething Libby.  It felt like there was no end in sight, and all I could do was wait it out and trust The Plan.  Former me: because you went through that, I now know I can make it through any number of awful days and sleepless nights, because what you endured was much, much harder.

3.  Mommies (and daddies) sacrifice a LOT.  It’s a well-known fact.  For Libby, I sacrifice showers and date nights and loads of other things.  Target used to have a little path beaten in the carpet from the beeline I made to the Missies clearance racks every time I walked in the store.  Now there’s a new beeline… to the racks of adorable frilly dresses and skirts and baby jammies, 50% off so I can stock up for days when she is bigger and louder and crazier.  Sacrifice is not so bad; in fact, it’s downright rewarding to re-wear an old Easter dress so your gorgeous daughter can have a brand new one.  Everyone’s going to be looking at her, anyway :)  But when I sacrifice NOW, it’s for a child I can see and smell and feel.  Back when I was a mom-at-heart, that girl sacrificed simply for the DREAM of such a blessing.  She sacrificed long days and her privacy so that doctors could ask her embarrassing questions before they poked and prodded her. She sacrificed date nights even then, so that the next adoption expense would be ready when needed. She gave up a lot, never even knowing if it would pay off, but because she hoped and prayed that it would.
 
4.  Mommies can’t imagine life without their children, and would give up ANYTHING to keep them safe.  Mommies-at-heart live every day without their children, and would give up anything just to hold them once.  And when God finally, graciously makes us mommies in the way He had planned for us before eternity, we have the blessing of continuing to carry that feeling with us.  Yes, I said blessing.  Not a curse or a scar or a punishment of some sort, but a beautiful reminder of how AMAZINGLY we have been blessed, and to never ever ever ever ever take that blessing for granted.  So, past me, would I love Libby with all my heart if you hadn’t gone through what you did? Yes, of course.  But I wouldn’t love her with THIS heart.  You CHANGED my heart, you changed all of me and made me a better mommy than I ever would have been without you.

So, dear mommies-at-heart, please dig deep and find a way to celebrate yourself today, and I will celebrate you, too.  You are absolutely worth it.  The lessons you are learning, the tears you are crying, and the prayers you are praying are MAKING YOU into a remarkable mommy.  And to those who have made it, who are at peace for now, please pray for these mommies and let them know how much you care.  Share this post with her, share a drink with her - whatever you can do is a blessing to her.  In acknowledging her, you will heal a tiny piece of her heart and give her the strength to keep on fighting.

No comments:

Post a Comment